Simple thoughts in a complex life
Monthly Archives: February 2010
For the last test, since daily usage would vary from day to day, I did 3 runs, so that the result would better represent the case.
What I did : Edited Google Wave documents, worked with some flash documents, listened to music and the occasional chat.
Running programs : Firefox, iTunes, Adium, TextEdit
Environment : Worked at a bright location, so screen should be at 100% most of the time
The result : Battery is down 53% in 149 minutes, average battery usage is 0.355704 % per minute, 100% battery would approximately equal to 4 hours and 41 minutes.
What I did : Web-based administration, server administration (using SSH), email, and a bit of coding in Windows through Remote Desktop Connection
Running programs : Firefox, Mail, Adium, TextEdit, Activity Monitor, Terminal (SSH), Remote Desktop Connection, Google Chrome
Environment : Worked at a relatively bright room, screen is probably about 70% to 100%
The result : Battery is down 60% in 134 minutes, average battery usage is 0.4477612 % per minute, 100% battery would approximately equal to 3 hours and 43 minutes.
What I did : Web-based administration, browsing some websites, email, encoded two 20-minutes long videos using HandBrake, internet connection using bluetooth
Running programs : Firefox, Mail, Handbrake, TextEdit, OpenOffice.org
Environment : Room wasn’t so bright, screen is probably about 70% to 80%
The result : Battery is down 65% in 119 minutes, average battery usage is 0.5462185 % per minute, 100% battery would approximately equal to 3 hours and 3 minutes.
Ok, since all of the tests have been completed, next I will try to write a conclusion from my tests.
It’s 11:40 PM, it’s crunch time, need to install Win7 in one of the machines, using the not-so-standard RAID-1 configuration ,and there it goes, the classic message, “Setup was unable to create a new system partition blah blah..”. Arrgh! Spent almost an hour trying to fix this one. To make it worst, Windows 7 installation load time is so long, each unsuccessful attempt drove me even crazier!
Finally nailed it though. Note to self : next time, make sure you follow this list when installing Windows 7:
- Make sure that only the target hard drive is connected, disconnect all other unnecessary drives
- Make sure that the target hard drive has the first boot drive priority from BIOS
- Insert the USB stick containing necessary SATA drivers only when asked (target drive selection process), and disconnect it after the driver has been installed
- If it still doesn’t work, try to allocate a 200 MB unallocated space before any partitions at the target drive, so that the installer could use it for the system partition
Well, I hope this information will be helpful for anyone that happen to come across it.